Youth Swim Lessons
National YMCA aquatic programs are designed to teach personal water safety and swimming skills to children. Our classes are divided by age and then by skill level. Class sessions are 30 minutes for pre-school age, and 40 minutes for school age and adult classes. Sessions consist of eight lessons.
|1||May 30 - June 8|
|3||June 26 - July 7|
|5||July 24 - August 3|
A session consists of 8 classes.
Please see the class descriptions below for details.
Ages 6 months - 13 years
|YMCA Day Camp Participant||Half Price|
|Sibling Discount||Half Price|
Please fill out both forms below:
Financial assistance form
Private Lessons: Get one-on-one attention. Private lessons are $80/members and $160/program participants. Private lessons include eight, 30 minute sessions. Email email@example.com to set up a time.
Registering your child
Download and fill out the registration form.
See the Class Descriptions below for more information.
Here are some guidelines:
- If your child is 6 months 2 years old sign your child up for the Parent/Child class.
- If your child is 3-5 years old and has never taken swim lessons or has not taken swim lessons since last summer, sign them up for the Pike class. If your child took swim lessons in the spring and passed, sign them up for the Eel class.
- If your child is 6-13 years old, look over the Class Descriptions list below. If your child cannot perform the skills at the Polliwog level, sign them up for that class, and so on.
- 30-minute class designed for children 6 to 36 months and their parents. The primary objective is water adjustment for the child. The parents will be taught how to work with their child and how to keep their child safe in and around the water. Activities are based on the developmental abilities of the child.
- Pike (Beginner 3-5 year olds)
- For children with no previous experience.
- Eel (Advanced Beginner 3-5 year olds)
- For children who are comfortable in the water and can swim independently 5ft or more.
- Ray (Intermediate 3-5 year olds)
- Children review previously learned skills, improve stroke skills, build endurance, learn to tread water and perform basic diving skills.
- Starfish (Advanced 3-5 year olds)
- Children at this level review the skills learned at the Ray level and refine their crawl and backstroke. They are introduced to the breaststroke and the sidestroke as well as swim under water and dive.
- Polliwog (Beginner 6-12 year olds)
- To pass to the next level they must be able to swim 5-10 ft. on their own.
- Guppy (Intermediate Beginner 6-12 year olds)
- This advanced beginner class reinforces the Pike skills. It is for children who are comfortable in the water and can swim independently 5ft or more.
- Minnow (Advanced Beginner 6-12 year olds)
- Children learn the crawl with side breathing, backstroke, elementary back, breaststroke, and sidestroke. Basic diving is taught at this level. To pass they must master all skills.
- Fish (Intermediate 6-12 year olds)
- Students work to refine all strokes previously learned with turns. They are introduced to the butterfly stroke.