Camp Wanica Overview
McElwee Lodge, built in the 1930s, sits atop a rise in the tree shaded acres of East Texas. You will find the lodge, along with cabins, swimming pool, Discovery Theatre, playground, cook-out area, basketball court, and volleyball court; the ideal site for your camping or recreational experience.
Cabins are available for overnight stays or weekend rentals. We have two large cabins in which heat and air conditioning are available.
The swimming pool is situated on the lodge grounds next to the bath house, and can also be rented daily or by the hour.
While the camp is utilized mostly by small groups desiring a brief respite from "city living", it is also a beautiful setting for weddings, receptions, anniversary celebrations, and birthday parties as well as company picnics, church retreats, business seminars, family reunions, class reunions, civic club events and school field trips.
Located just south of Corsicana off Highway 287, Camp Wanica is accessible to the stores and shops of town, but is isolated enough to give participants the full flavor and rustic ambience of "camping out."
Book early - the summer months fill up fast!
For more information on renting Camp Wanica for your special event, please contact the YMCA at 903-872-2412.
Camp Wanica Forms
|Use agreement||Use agreement form.|
|Lifeguard request||Lifeguard request form.|
|Camp cleanup rules||Camp cleanup rules form.|
|Camp Wanica contract||Camp Wanica contract form.|
- A YMCA certified lifeguard must be on duty for the pool to be open.
- Posted pool rules must be followed at all times.
- Youth under 6 years old must be accompanied by a parent.
- Swim tests are given to all youth. Colored wrist bands will be assigned to swimmers and non-swimmers. Non-swimmers are not allowed in the deep end of the pool.
- Non-swimmers that are shorter than chest deep in the shallow water must be within arms each of a parent or wear a lifejacket at all times.
- Inflatables are not allowed. This includes water wings. See rule 5.
- No diving.
- No food or drinks in pool area (except water).
- Proper swim attire is required.
- When thunder or lightning are present, the pool must be closed for 30 minutes after the last thunder/lightning is detected.